Old houses in Toronto, ON
In 1848, the brewer Enoch Turner financed the construction of this school for the poor children of the neighbourhood surrounding his brewery. Many were Irish immigrants who had just fled the great famine in the previous years. Operating costs were also paid by the brewer for several years. Then the school moved to another location and the building was used for other purposes, as maintenance deteriorated demolition seemed inevitable in the 1960s. Eventually preserved, it is now the oldest surviving school in Toronto, used mainly for receptions in its renovated buildings.
To be informed of upcoming articles, register here (it’s free).